Date: June 29, 2012
I am far from a social media expert, but there are three things Twitter users do that drive me insane and that absolutely violate fundamental principles of good communication.
1. Auto Tweets
I understand it’s an efficient way for busy people to schedule out their tweets over the course of a day, but it’s important to wrest control from the robots when big events are happening. Especially predictable events.
Yesterday between 9 and 10 am Central, my Twitter stream was 95% filled with tweets about the Supreme Court’s healthcare ruling, one of the biggest news events in a generation or two. The other 5% were tweets from people who clearly had their Twitter stream on autopilot, yammering away about Pippa’s latest hat or sharing some article on the latest fat-burning scheme.
Maybe you don’t want to talk about healthcare. That’s fine — just shut off your auto tweets. Or maybe you think it’s an opportunity to be noticed during a high-traffic time. If that’s the case, you’re being noticed, all right, but not in the way you’d like.
Communication violation: it’s impersonal. And it makes you come across like those awkward people at parties unable to join the conversation, relate to others or pick up on basic social cues.
I suppose people view this as an efficient way to get their message out — blasting the same post across Twitter, Facebook and other platforms. But they’re not thinking of their audience.
Why would I follow you both on Twitter and Facebook if you’re saying the exact same thing the exact same way on both? These are two different platforms, with two different audiences and a whole bunch of different protocols and rules of etiquette.
Besides, we don’t want to see all your damned hashtags on Facebook. (The overuse of which on Twitter is a whole other issue.)
Communication violation: Again, it’s impersonal. It stinks of spam and shows you’re not thinking of your audience.
3. Posting Stale News
The news cycle is incredibly compressed these days. Tweeting days-old news is absolutely unforgivable — unless you’ve got a particular spin on that news you want to communicate. Hell, I feel funny tweeting hours-old news.
If you plan to be breaking news on Twitter, then it had damned well better be actual breaking news.
Communication violation: it wastes peoples’ time and suggests you’re out of touch and behind the curve.
Social media is obviously a wonderful thing. But it also tends to magnify our worst habits and mistakes. As with any other form of communication, a lot can be solved by thinking of your audience.
Category: Communication Skills
Free Stuff!Sign up now for my monthly email alerts and receive five FREE checklists to help you manage every detail and ensure the success of your next presentation.
Popular Blog Posts
April 19, 2013
February 11, 2013